9.12.2008

Mojito Cake


A Mojito is a Cuban cocktail made by muddling fresh mint leaves with sugar and lime, then adding ice, rum, and club soda.

My late Great Auntie Edna made the moistest Lemon Cake you have ever tasted. In the 1950's she worked in a bakery. Loved to bake. My mom says she made a mean pineapple upside-down cake, and my Great Aunt Ethel fondly remembers her Prune Cake. During the 1960's, with convenience all the rage, a lemon jello cake recipe made its way around the country. It was quick and easy, made from a box of cake mix and a box of Jello. Auntie would bring this lemon cake to all the family functions...


Several years ago my brother was coming to visit me, and I asked him, what would you like me to cook for you? Aunt Edna's Lemon Cake. I asked my mom if she had the recipe, she did, and I have been making different incarnations of it ever since. And although I did not inherit my Great Auntie's love of baking, I do have her appreciation for convenient desserts.

Here is my MOJITO CAKE Version of Lemon Jello Cake:

3 oz. Jello added to 1 box (18 oz.) white cake mix. 
To get the cake the color of a mojito, I use 1 1/2 oz. each Lemon Jello and Lime Jello.

Add 4 eggs, 3/4 c. canola oil, and 3/4 c. water. Mix well, then pour into a greased Bundt pan. (I use Trader Joe's Cooking Spray with Flour). Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.

Cool slightly. Pierce lots of holes all over the cake. I use a wooden skewer, or you can use a chopstick.

Put 2 T. Rum and 1 T. Crème de Menthe (a sweet mint-flavored liqueur) in a measuring cup then add fresh squeezed lime juice to make 1/2 cup.

Combine the lime juice mixture with 2 c. powdered sugar.


Pour over the holes and let the lime sugar mixture saturate the cake. Invert the cake onto a platter, serve with limes and fresh mint. Dust with powdered sugar.

Mojito Cake: with flavors of lime, mint, rum, and sugar!

The Retro Lemon Jell-O Cake Recipe:
  • 1 package 18 oz. classic yellow cake mix
  • 1 small box 3 oz. Lemon Jello
  • 4 eggs
  • ¾ cup water
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
Mix well, pour into a greased 13 X 9 cake pan and bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes until the cake is set.

Cool slightly and then poke holes all over the cake with a fork.
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • ½ c. fresh lemon juice
Mix, then pour glaze over the cake.

Some of our other versions include: 
Margarita Cake - sub Tequila and Cointreau in the Mojito recipe and garnish with salt crystals.
Pink Lemonade Cake - substitute raspberry Jello for 1/2 of the lemon Jello
Molly's Strawberry Margarita Cake - add strawberry Jello

Did your Grandma or Great Aunt make a similar cake?